Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Monsters

MONSTERS


:A grandpa playing with his granddaughters at home.
"Okay girls, lets build a place where we can hide tonight. We'll make it from sticks so the monsters can't find us. Now let's not make much noise for our spot has to be kept secret. We don't want that evil Queen (the wife) finding us!"
:A grandpa playing with his granddaughters down at the river.
"Okay girls, let's build a place where we can hide tonight. We'll make it from sticks so the monsters can't find us. Now let's not make much noise for our spot has to be kept secret. We don't want that evil Queen (still the wife ) finding us!"
Can you see how I became a possible child abductor just because of my location. The game's the same, it just takes on a whole new meaning outdoors, away from people.
The lady going for a walk with her dog along the river saw it that way. And in her defense I guess she was right to show concern because of the times we live in.
But it's sad that I can't take my grandkids away from the accepted play areas (parks and playgrounds) so that I can introduce them to the areas I grew up in as a kid, without well meaning, civic minded concern from dog walkers.
I've never been a fan of sitting around the perimeter of a designated play area with moms and dads and a grandparent or two. Watching and screen glancing next weeks hand held device while the child amuses themselves on prearranged play structures that are the same in every playground. I wanna throw a rock or stick in the river with my grandkids. Draw pictures and lose every game of Xs-and-Os in the wet sand. Play the imaginary games we play at home without curious dog walkers challenging the fact that these two girls might be in danger.
Well they are in danger! Some idiot that's a poor judge of ones physical ability left them with me. But they're not in danger because of me, they're in danger because they're with me. Grandpa just ain't that fast anymore.
When I'm by myself with my grandkids in a public place people look at you and think its so wonderful grandpa can spend time with them. When I head on down to the river with them it becomes a possible news lead for the Five O'Clock News.
If a person overhears you in McDonalds saying "Quit fooling around and finish your Happy Meal and your Happy Drink! And I've told you you'll only get Happy Ice Cream if you're quiet!" it's all standard McDonalds threats. Now re-read it imagining an old guy by himself with two girls under ten saying that down at a quiet spot at the river. Red flags go up.
I have this guilty till proven innocent charge hanging over me when I'm away from a busy public area. Am I over reacting?....No! Because I do the same thing. And why? Because of the horrors committed against our children by strangers, family members, team coaches, teachers, clergy and every other walk of life. We've all been sickened to the fact that it happens everywhere, in our own cities, towns and neighborhoods. Tragedies to terrible to mention happening to the most vulnerable. Unfortunately we've earned the right to be suspicious about everybody.
So bring on your torches, your pitchforks and other sharpened farm implements. Approach that most terrifying monster that looks all so normal that dwells among us that has a blackness that runs quiet and deep. Question. Don't worry about you or them being uncomfortable asking and answering questions. They're with our children.
I'll still keep going down to the river with my girls, and people will make me feel uncomfortable by staring and asking questions like I'm the bad guy. I can live with that, knowing people will check on our kids to see they're safe. Why I'll even thank you and help you put your torch out.

Bob Niles

No comments:

Post a Comment