Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Third Dimension is Disappearing at an Alarming Rate

The Third Dimension is Disappearing at an Alarming Rate

"Aaaaannnd smile." Click.
"What are you taking a picture of?" asks the wife.
"Well if you must know I'm taking a picture of a cheque to send into the bank."
"Oh, and where did you get a cheque from? Did you see a picture of a job?"
"No," I assured her, "I don't go to those web sites. The bank now only needs a picture of my pay cheque. So I'm sending in a selfie of me and my cheque. It's just like me being there, but with one less dimension. Apparently the sense of depth, which a piece of paper is short on anyway, is no longer a requirement at the bank."
"It's because of their lack of a sense of depth in the first place is the only reason they let you open an account there... honey. Now how about I get a picture of you cutting the grass. Because it, unlike this conversation, has a lot of depth!"
Height, width and depth define our three dimensional world. And depth is the least favorite dimensions in this digital age. It's the lack of depth that makes our lives easier. We do a lot of our shopping with only two dimensions on our I, me, you, someone else's Pad. We see heights and width on the screen and if we're interested In something we choose 'Description' and we read about it's depth.
Books, magazines, catalogues and newspapers I no longer hold in my hands but view them on an illuminated flat screen.
I never lose the dice for my Monopoly Game under the couch anymore now that I have an app for it. And it's the apps that have killed depth! Games, cook books, maps, CDs of music and video, musical instruments and many other items of the third dimension all bought through apps are all flat and wide, and lacking in depth.
I don't play games with the grandkids outside running around, in a three dimensional world and possibly breaking a hip. They sit on my lap and play iPad. Why I can't remember the last time I played Angry Birds using real birds.
Television and commercials make us think we're not healthy if we have depth. When you turn sideways you're barely suppose to cast a shadow. TV stars and models are dying at an alarming rate falling through the drain grates!
Having that third dimension just makes things heavy. My height and width are okay but turn sideways to experience my depth and I look like a mama kangaroo with all the kids home!
Great works of literature, on my computer, once heavy because of depth created by many pages now weigh the same as my favorite Scooby-Doo comic.
In heavy industry they no longer climb up ladders and walk for miles to physically examine temperatures, pressures, input and output on gages. They now sit in front of a bank of flat screens like Homer Simpson and maintain safety levels.
The only way to experience that third dimension now a days is to pay big bucks at a movie theater and wear magical glasses to see a motion picture about some fantasy.
"What's that honey?..........You'll show me depth? She's yelling something from upstairs. Something about placing her shoe up some ????side if I don't start cutting the grass. Well I'd better get started then. Excuse me while I remove a bit more depth from my three D world."

Bob Niles

No comments:

Post a Comment