Thursday, December 19, 2013

It's Great to be a Guy!

It's Great to be a Guy!


HappppyNewwwwYearrrrr fills the entire room and what little gray matter I have left between my ears. All three hands on the clock incriminate 12 as the reason for all the hoopla.
The start of a new year, the chance to start anew. January the oneth.
Two minutes later I break my wifes new years resolution (for me) as I trace a line with my belt buckle all around the first three inches of the midnight Buffett. She decided one of my new year resolutions was to cut down on my calorie intake. Lose 30 pounds (if you speak metric it's like getting in the car and doing 50 kph which is 30 mph then just switch it to weight) she decided it would be one of my resolution for this year. I countered by promising never to eat more than I can lift at any one time, which my plate, at his very point in time is challenging me with.
Plate piled high, but moveable, veins in my forearms and forehead protruding, I carefully navigate toward a feeding area and trip over a sleeping grand kid. Second new year resolution breaks as I attempt to stay upright and verbally express my disappointment and shock as my first broken resolution, and grandmas, now broken, country estate pattern hit the floor. And then, the once sleeping angelic cherub, turns on me and announces that another Loonie was to occupy the potty mouth jar.
In my defense, it wasn't an adult swear word. I just happened to mention an immovable object that holds back water as my, not one, but three chins and midnight snack were hitting the floor. But, it's a word the grand kids had started to use as an adjective a little too often. Sometimes three to a sentence. So it came to be that Loonies would suffer in an air tight jar at the top of the shelf every time that word and certain other words were used.
Two new year resolutions down and the hands in the clock were closer together than my thumb and index finger. How many more resolutions would end on this night? How many we're there? She had made me a list but I had left it at home. That in itself could be a violation of a resolution.
I have come to believe that new year resolutions are a womens thing. Let's face it ladies if it were up to us guys we would just keep going wayward in all our bad habits.
We could be 30 lbs (again refer to my driving analogy) overweight, walk naked past a full length mirror, suck in our gut and with two fingers pointed at our reflection, like the bartender from The Love Boat, make a clicking sound between our teeth and gums and pity the poor woman who could refuse this.
If a guy ever starts to feel like he might be getting a bit too excessive in any one bad habit we just look for an example worse than ourselves and find comfort that we aren't as bad as 'that guy.'
And it doesn't even have to be the same fault! When a woman perceives herself overweight she is always jealous of skinnier women and will set goals to loose weight. With guys if, let's say, he's 30 lbs ( you've figured it out by now) overweight and might somehow feel less than perfect, he doesn't look at a healthier male as a goal but rather finds fault in his choice of vehicles to better his self image. "Phffft the guy drives a 64 split window Corvette. Thing has a huge blind spot!"
So what if you've gone from eye candy to eye broccoli!
Happy happy happy is the couple where the wife has dropped that girlfriend promise they all make to each other. "I'm going to change him"
You know that promise all you women make when you announce to your friends of your intended betrothed. "If he asks me to marry I'll say yes. Oh I know he's always kidding around, he's overweight, has no sense of style and his hair is a disaster but I promise you once were married I'll change him into the man I've always wanted."
And with the start of each new year you revisit that challenge you've placed on yourself by encouraging him to look inward and make a resolution to do better.
Or you take a more proactive approach and make him a list. It seems like the only day of the year it's appropriate. Oh sure you think a change is needed every time you look at him as he watches his Scooby-Doo cartoons. All in his sweat pants finery, with his matching ripped tee-shirt. That once crazy head of hair now all wispy and thin as it clings on, fights the good fight to remain on his head. And it's not like he can't grow hair cause now his back, ears and nose all support some sort of exotic growth. Well at least he doesn't laugh so much anymore. Life sorta solved that problem.
So ladies as you enter your 'Stop-n-Start' season, we on the sidelines wish you well. As you stop the many things you perceive in your life as wrong or bad, and start to do better in mind, body and soul go forth knowing we are somewhere behind you. We might notice your hair is cut different, or you've lost a few pounds or you've adopted a favorite frock rather than buy a new one.
We might.....Then again, we might not. But please forgive us we're men. This is a rough season for us as you go about trying to better with your life and us along with it. You go girl! Do your thing! But we're happy minding the small things that somehow take up our time.
Men take comfort as you watch the wife and her girlfriend power walk out of the driveway. They and many women like them all walking and jogging around the neighborhood while you with coffee and doughnut in hand survey their struggles from the comfort of your domain. To us January the oneth is college football, not a day to get all excited about changing things all around. Relax. Turn up the thermostat...oh poop! It's metric. Excuse me I've got to go to the car.

Bob Niles





bobby did this

No comments:

Post a Comment