Wednesday, November 6, 2013

I Wish You a ....

I Wish You a ....
by Bob Niles

"Make sure you wish Mommy a happy birthday when she brings your cereal." I said to my 4yr. old granddaughter.
My daughter and granddaughter live in our suite downstairs. Both Charlotte (granddaughter) and I get up early, and she likes to come upstairs and watch Sesame Street together. I greatly enjoy this time as I do look foolish watching Sesame Street by myself. Unlike Jeopardy, I get all the questions right here though.
After about 30 min. of the letter 'S' and the number '12' mom comes upstairs with the Fruit Loops.
"Happy Birthday!" I proclaim as I draw out the birthday part.
Crickets. All I heard were crickets creaking (well if I had any you could of heard them) as Charlotte just sat there looking like she had fallen asleep.
"Ah thanks! 29 for the third time." mom says. "Charlotte hurry and eat up. Mommy's got to get to work and you've got to get ready.......Okay?"
"Okay Mom!"
Mom heads back downstairs, and I poke her in the ribs with a "What's with that I told you to wish Mom a happy birthday."
"I did!" she defends.
"When? Earlier this morning?"
"No just now. I closed my eyes and wished. If you say a wish out loud, it doesn't come true you know. You told me that."
True enough that conversation had happened when on her birthday she was just about to blow out the candles on her cake. "Make a wish. But don't tell anyone or it won't come true." I told her.
Now, we all know that unwritten rule that silence is golden when it comes to wishes. So I ask, have we been doing it wrong all these years by vocalizing and singing festive wishes? Have we placed the chance of having a 'Happy' or 'Merry' anything in the dumpers by verbal acknowledgement of ones day, year, holiday or event?
And now with the magic of the inter-webby-thingie and the book of faces with people twittering, tweeting, inter-texting and many other 'ings' everybody from grandma to the paperboy you had four years ago, types out a public wish to ruin your chance of a happy or merry anything.
This is why the world is so screwed up! No ones wishes come true cause everyone let's everyone know what they are! People are standing around wishing pools and wells proclaiming their wishes as if it were a God given right. Why the once magical kerplunk of the coin is now drowned out by the cries of deal making people that are owed a wish

Four hour later

Okay I've taken my meds and cooled down now. And going out on a limb like that I guess was silly too. ( not the first time I've fallen out of a tree though. As a kid in a cradle the wind came up while in a tree top. Which explains a lot)
All tongue in cheek. But I found Charlottes answer very interesting. Told what to do, and with her knowledge of a wish and how they work, it was executed perfectly. It was me that had it wrong!

Bob Niles
superiordribble@blogspot.com


bobby did this

No comments:

Post a Comment